Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Merc 25HP 2 cycle cold start question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Merc 25HP 2 cycle cold start question...

I have a cold start problem and would like to know what the relationship between the manual choke knob on the outside of the engine and the key choke is? When I push in the key choke for 10 sec then attempt to start it will take about 3, 10 sec cranks befor it will run. Like it is not getting primed. If I used the manual choke, pull it out twice and then leave it out partial, it starts right up. I know the manual knob runs the timming up and all the way out it pushes that blue primer diaphram. I am kind of new to boats I have the Seloc manual for this engine, this area is not covered. Basically how do you start a cold engine? How do you check to make sure the electric key choke is working? Do you use both choke systems? Thanks

The electric choke is separate from the manual primer. There is a small solenoid on the top of the carb that closes a passage which allows more gas thru the circuits. You should hear a click when you push the choke, but it's not very loud. (If the motor was converted from a manual model to an electric model it might not be there.) In cold weather it helps to pull the primer knob a few times to squirt some gas in before cranking and choking.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. After playing with it last night I realized I was trying to start it wrong. It is a WMC carb and it does need to have the key held in while you are cranking it when cold. Not that 10 sec. deal that would drip gas down into the engine. It starts fine now. But like you said on a extreme day I might want to grab that primer knob on the engine once or twice before I back it into the water also. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X