1965 merc 1000 tower of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 merc 1000 tower of power

First timer so take it easy on me - I have a Merc 1000 # 1854367 (1965)
    I Have redone lower end all seals & water pump - found the cam end of the shift shaft slightly bent - previous owner said "won't go into reverse needs shims" inspected and found shim intact - gear mesh seemed adequate both forward and reverse - then found shifting rough - heated and gently bent the shaft end straight - reinstalled and movement is ok I will get replacement off season - pressure tested to 15 then reinstalled - now upper wiring and inspection - need to replace some worn wires in the harness - I find two hoses on distributor base one connected and one hanging free. I can't find anything about where they belong - can see the parts but no documentation in the Clymer manual, or online. Again being new to this boat thing - I am mechanical so that should help. Apparently this model has a thunderbolt breaker less ignition - I think. The write up in the manual talks of a 2 coil trigger - I have 2 coils - it appears to have 2 vent hoses - I have 2 vent hoses - any info would help - I have looked in the wiring diagrams at the end of the manual and they are lacking any 2 coil system - also trying to inspect the remote control wiring and apparatus (shifter) - the shifter was not attached to the boat so i would need hardware parts and possibly any seals or gaskets? I would like to take it apart for servicing- no info for that - I would buy a different manual but which one ? mercury doesn't stock them any longer- LOL - Thanks for any help or direction
Working...
X