Neutral Safety Switch Issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Safety Switch Issue ?

I have an '04 Tracker 175 with a 60HP Mercury 2 3cyl. 2 stroke purchased new in '04. In neutral alone it won't crank, but if I put in in neutral and put the shift lever in reverse, it will crank. It will also crank if it's NOT in neutral and I shift into reverse. If I leave it in neutral and/or push the shift lever to forward it won't crank. I stopped by Bass Pro and they thought it was the ignition switch, so I bought one and that didn't fix anything. There is power in the "on" position to the gauges, lights, etc. and power to the neutral safety switch. There is power from the battery to the motor and from the battery to the ignition switch. it doesn't seem to a problem with the ignition switch. My guess is that the neutral safety switch is bad, unless somebody has a better idea. It looks like the shifter control is a Mercury 4000, single-handle, flush mount, with trim and tilt. I'm also assuming the NSS is inside the control box. I purchased the NSS from Bass Pro, but before I tear this apart (which will be a first), does anybody have any idea if this is not merely a NSS issue, but maybe an issue with the control box itself? I have had 2 other Trackers prior to this one and had to replace the NSS in those as well at some point.
    Last edited by Gordonfan; 10-19-2016, 11:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Working...
X