Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6hp 4stroke merc stalls

Hi Folks,
    I have a 2002 mercury 6hp 4stroke outboard, ME6M, that stalls about every 5 minutes. The tank is clean, the gas is new. I have replaced the fuel line, pump bulb, fuel line/engine connector, and fuel filter. I have cleaned the carb and cylinder. It has a new spark plug and oil. I have inspected all the engine fuel lines and found them intact. I pump the bulb, the fuel filter fills about 3/4's, the engine starts and runs well. The fuel in the fuel filter diminishes to about 1/4 and stays there. About five minutes after, whether in neutral or in gear the RPMs decrease and the engine stalls. If I pump the bulb it will pick back up. Once stalled I can pump the bulb and it will start right up but stalls again. I have taken the fuel pump off and opened it and visually inspected it for tears, pinholes or something out of place but found none of the above. I have tried running it with the throttle at different degrees of open but nothing there either. Anyone have any ideas? Thanx...
    Last edited by littleputput; 07-05-2016, 05:26 PM.

Have you checked the O-Rings in both ends of the fuel line, especially the one on the eng. these can suck air if not clicked home or the O-Ring has perished or shrunk slightly?.

Comment

If someone pumps the primer ball as you motor along does the problem go away or does it remain? If it goes away this would indicate a fuel pump issue. A 13/14 year old pump might just need to be replaced.

Now if you think that an air leak might be causing the problem you can install a clear section of tube at the inlet to the fuel pump and then watch the fuel flow for the presence of any air bubbles that might be causing fuel pump to not be able to do its job.

Damn, just noticed the OP posted in July. Got me again.

Comment

Working...
      X