Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury 175 H.P. - To proceed or not?

Hi,

I guess I will start at the beginning. I bought a 1977 Glasply 19.5 Cuddy which has a 1977 Mercury 175hp outboard. As I keep working and looking over the outboard I am finding more problems and am trying to decide how I should decide how far I can go with this outboard. It looks great on the outside but I had a heck of a time getting the cowl opened, so I am guessing not a lot of work or rinsing was done.

It did fire and run a little last fall when I bought the boat. I shut it down when there was no water coming out the tell-tale outlet. Ordered a few parts like the thermostats and the worn parts of the relief valve assembly and installed them.

I am just now getting back to the project. And have run into some areas/issues that need attention.

1) There is some corrosion on the exhaust cover, in fact it will need to be replaced. The bottom right ear/tab for the cowl support is broken/corroded off. And on the left side there is a spot where the actual block has some deep corrosion due to debris being caught between the head and the block next to the exhaust area.

2) Finding that there are quite a few wires corroded pretty bad. Was hoping it would just be a couple and towards the ends but as I look closer I am finding it is going up the wires towards the stator and the trigger plate assembly. Not sure yet how far up the wires the corrosion goes. So do not know yet if the wires can be fixed or if it will be too close to the parts themselves. These parts are available but I figure it will cost $300.00-$400.00 to replace these parts.

So I am wondering if at this point I should pull off the exhaust cover and maybe a head and see what condition the inside is in. Of course then I am probably going to have broken bolts to deal with also.

Maybe do a compression test before taking anything apart? I am pretty sure I can still get it to turn over. Have not turned it over since last fall.

This may help me to decide how far I should proceed with this outboard.

Any advise at this point would be great. Do not have a lot of money to throw at buying a new outboard at this time. So if possible I would like to fix this if it is not too far gone, That is if i can get all the parts.

Thanks!

Do a compression test first, if either of the lower two chambers are showing more than 15 hp less than the other cylinders you can pretty much figure that your going to have to put a new power head on it, so, go from there with money it cost to do the head.

Comment

Working...
    X