Oil Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Alarm

I have a 1993 40 hp outboard motor that the alarm keeps going off while it is running. I was told by a guy who fixes motors that as long as the water was coming out of the engine cooling system and there is oil in the tank to not worry about it. While it is running if I hole the key slightly to the left the alarm stops. I was going to get the sensor or switch that sets in the oil tank and see if that fixes it. Now I am thinking it may be the ignition switch. These would be cheaper fixes then replacing the alarm or the oil pump. Would you have any idea what may be wrong?

Ignoring the horn is not a good idea, you can check the oil tank not full switch and the over temp sensor by unplugging them one at a time. You really want to get this fixed before something bad happens and the horn is disconnected. Keep in mind that the over temp might be reading because of a failed head gasket and that cylinder is running hot (more of a problem with Yamaha's, I think your head might be one piece with the block) find the sensor then why it's sounding off the horn. Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
    X