Buy Mercury Parts
Buy Mercury Marine Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Merc 90 classic fuel pump issues = ETHANOL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Merc 90 classic fuel pump issues = ETHANOL?

Hey guys and thanks for being here!

I have a 2000 Merc 90 classic 2-stroke on a Boston Whaler Dauntless 16'.

Since I bought this boat, I have had issues with the fuel pump and getting it started. It has the 3 single barrel Stromberg carbs. One per cylinder. I rebuilt the carbs three years ago, but in all honesty? They didn't need a thing. The parts that came out looked as good as the new ones.

About me? I do commercial refrigeration and AC, so There is really nothing I pay to have repaired.

But as you well know, Its NOT repairing it! Its the diagnosis & to say " AH! that is IT"!

Well 3 years ago this engine would not stay running and I removed the fuel pump and the diaphragms in it were COLLAPSED and in all honesty? I don't KNOW how it stayed running after I got it to run which was injecting ONE CC of fuel with 2 stroke oil in each of the three cylinders. Apparently in my manual there is a vacuum hole in cylinder number three that creates a vacuum of this fuel pump.

Now, I let the boat sit 2 years here in south florida ( no winter) and I have the same issue. I get power to the choke, but NO choke so the choke module or whatever you call it must be replaced. that works by pushing the key IN.

I fear I need a new diaphragm kit for this fuel pump again = number 21-857005A

But I ask this. WHAT CAUSES the collapse inside. I use 87 octane and "STAYBIL" in my fuel and only quicksilver oil and am a STICKLER for a new oil separator filter every 6 months or so?

And what ELSE is involved with the square fuel pump? there is this funky looking housing BELOW it coming off the block.

I mean YES! The what it works with a vacuum is basic! But by NO MEANS is the fuel system on this 15 year old engine BASIC!

I have a new fuel filter on the engine too and the direction on flow is good on it & IT FILLS UP and you can hear the air escape out near the carbs.

Can anyone tell me what else on this fuel system should be rebuilt? when I get it running on Saturday, it starts up on Sunday.

BUT let it sit a month? MAN! what a pain in the A$$ to get it running! and once its warmed up? a " snap" of the key and it fires right up.

Something is NOT right here, and I am ALL ears!

Thanks Guys,
    Daniel

Ethanol will deteriorate rubber and rubber will dry rot, so if leave gas in it will go bad, drain gas out it will go bad. Only real solution is to run motor and not let sit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X