1987 175HP no mid-range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 175HP no mid-range

I have a 1987 175HP 0n a bass boat. My problem is it has no mid-range. I have rebuilt the carbs, rebuilt the oil pump, rebuilt the fuel pump, ran Seafoam in the gas, checked the stator, dis-connected the idle stabilizer, checked compression and all cylinders were 90 psi and all even. The motor will start and run fine up to about 1200 rpm's, but if I try to go past that the motor dies. If I slam it to wot it will take off and after it planes out it will go 65 mph all day. I don't know if it is carburation or ignition. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Try removing and cleaning carbs and recheck sync.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I have wh-34 carbs and have been cleaned and had pipe cleaners and tip cleaners run through every orifice and new gaskets. I have done the link and sync several times according to the manual. I have checked and rechecked the timing. I am stumped.

Comment

Check to see if timer base moves freely or is hanging up, check reed valves, with a timing light check for cylinder misfire.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

I took the boat to the lake yesterday and this is what I found. The motor will idle just fine, but when I put it in gear the engine dies, unless I jam it to mid throttle, then it chugs along at 1200 rpm’s. If I try to go above 1200 rpm’s it will die, unless I jam it to wot then it hesitates until it builds rpm’s and then it will take off and plane with no miss. I can take it down to 3000 rpm’s and it runs fine but not below that. I am thinking either stator or switch boxes. Any thoughts?

Comment

Possible, try the timing light to see if loosing fire.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X