Mercury 50 HP problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury 50 HP problem

I have a 50 Hp Mercury motor that has fuel problems. I have not had it in the water in two years. I started the engine with no problems out of water. I couldadvance the throttle and she reacted as should. I even put the propeller in gear and advanced the throttle with no problem. When I put the boat in the water the motor started. When I advanced the throttle, it died. I started again and could cruise about half way from idle to full throttle, if I tried to advance the throttle, it would die. I lifted the motor out of the water and could give it full throttle in and out of gear and it worked fine, put it back in water and I could not advance the throttle with out it dieing. Any recommendations as to the problem?
    Last edited by eddie1952; 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM.

Try having someone squeeze the primer bulb on the gas line while the engine is dogging. Maybe a fuel pump diaphragm that is weak. If the primer bulb does the trick then you most likely have to get a fuel pump repair kit. Not $$.

Comment

mercury 50hp

Read my recent (October 2013) postings under this forum under Merc 500 title. Seems like we may basically have the same problem going on with our engines? I have had this problem with my engine for over 15 to 20 years and I get it going by simultaneously squeezing the inline fuel line squeeze bulb (you do have a squeeze bulb in your fuel line between your fuel tank and your engine?) and giving it throttle. Throttle and proper squeezing of the squeeze bulb must be precise. You must slowly give it throttle while you squeeze the squeeze bulb just the right amount until the engine "takes" the fuel and runs right. This can be tricky until you do it a few times. You must have one person doing the throttle lever while another person does the squeeze bulb unless you can reach both. Too much throttle or to soft or hard squeezing of the squeeze bulb and the engine will not accelerate (engine will not take the proper fuel ratio to run properly). I'm taking my boat/engine to the shop (Oct 2013) for this problem. Will get back to you soon. Ok?

Comment

It won't take the throttle when it's in the water, because it's under more of a load. It sounds to me like you need to either rebuild your fuel pump or replace it. Rebuilding it is cheaper and it's real easy. I'm assuming that your motor is a 2-stroke motor.

Comment

stall in water OK with muffs

I had a 94 Mariner 30 HP 2 cyl - did the same thing first time in the spring. Pulled the plugs, one of the plugs had almost no gap so I was missing on one cyl (must have messed the gap up when I replaced the plug after winterizing). Replaced the plug with a spare with proper gap and bingo - off to fishing!

Maybe missing on a cyl?

Comment

Working...
          X