no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark

I have a 9.9 Mercury outboard that does not have any spark or very little. It was running fine and just died. I have been able to get it running for a few seconds a couple of times and then nothing. I have replaced the plugs and just replaced the switchbox and the same problem exists. I have cleaned all contacts and traced power to the switchbox and nothing beyond it. Does this sound like a stator problem?

Need to test stator and trigger coil output with a peak reading voltmeter to see if voltage is within specs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

it is a 9.9 mercury. serial#0g169225. do you know what output I should be looking for from the stator on my volt meter? Thanks

Comment

I recommend purchasing a service manual for the precise procedures and readings.
        827242R02 - SERVICE MANUAL, 6/8/9.9/15 (2-Stroke) $68.20
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for suggesting the service manual. I really just wanted to know the test parameters for ohms testing the stators. I have gone ahead and purchased new: switch box, stators x2, trigger assembly and terminal block. If replacing basically the entire ignition system does not produce a spark then do you have any other suggestions why it would not work? Just would like to know what to look out for if I have eliminated every possibility I can think of? I will install everything in about a week once recieved. Thank you.

Comment

You could have a defective safety/kill switch.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X