Smartcraft instrument behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartcraft instrument behavior

I have a 2011 Optimax 250 outboard that I bought new a year ago for my center console. I also got a Smartcraft tach and speedo, and a set of five link gauges.

Since then I've noticed that the behavior of the gauges seems off in various ways, mostly having to do with fuel readings. For example:

-- Earlier this year I went through the procedure of draining the gas tank and then adding 1/4 tank at a time to do a supposedly precise calibration of the fuel level sender, but the amount reported was sometimes quite a bit off. So after that I switched over the calibration to tell it to use the default method of fuel calibration, where I guess it figures out fuel levels from the range of readings it detects over time.

-- Fuel usage reported by the tach is always exactly twice as much as the fuel usage reported by the speedo. For example, on one recent trip the speedo says I used 3.3 gallons, and the tach says I used 6.6 gallons.

-- The last time I used the boat a couple of weeks ago, at the end of the day the tach reported 74% fuel remaining. Today after I started the engine and let it idle for a minute, the tach reported 54% remaining. The fuel level analog link gauge also looked at about the 1/2 tank mark. I was wondering if someone was siphoning my gas. But then, after the engine ran for about 10 minutes, the fuel level went up over the course of a few seconds to 75%. The analog link gauge also moved up. I could understand this happening right when I start the engine because the system voltage would rise, but the engine was running for quite a few minutes while it still reported the 54% level. The boat was on a level throughout all of this, so it wasn't the result of the fuel sender being affected by the boat getting tilted.

Any thoughts on this? Anywhere I can go to find out more details about how the Smartcraft system works? The owner's manual isn't too helpful. I tried calling Mercury, but the rep I spoke with admitted he didn't know much about Smartcraft. I'm also not too sure the local dealer will be able to help much.

Need to make sure fuel tank capacity is set correctly when using the default setting in gauges.
    Best to have it set up computer diagnostic to calibrate using to Add Fuel function to see what software version your gauge has.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X