Help with prop selection. Mercury Model 40 4hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with prop selection. Mercury Model 40 4hp

I recently broke a blade off the prop on my Mercury Model 40 4hp. I'm fairly new to outboards, and have never even had to remove a prop before. I'm having trouble finding the prop I need. Can anyone help a guy out?

Remove the prop and look on blades hub for the diameter and pitch stamped in prop. Then post the serial number of outboard and numbers stamped on prop and if prop is aluminum or stainless steel, 3 blades or 4 blades and we can help you find prop part number.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Mercury Outboard Parts
    MerCruiser Parts
    Force Outboard Parts
    Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Remove the prop and look on blades hub for the diameter and pitch stamped in prop. Then post the serial number of outboard and numbers stamped on prop and if prop is aluminum or stainless steel, 3 blades or 4 blades and we can help you find prop part number.
      1978 Mercury Model 40 4hp

Serial Number: 9191359

Number on Prop: 48-70453A1 7 (no diameter or pitch stamping)

3 blade

Its looks to be made of plastic. (Light blue in color)

Comment

70453A1 is the part number of the prop but it is no longer available, Mercury doesn't offer any props for that model any longer. It is a plastic 8" diameter x 7" pitch prop. Might search the internet for that part number to see if any aftermarket props are available.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Mercury Outboard Parts
        MerCruiser Parts
        Force Outboard Parts
        Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          70453A1 is the part number of the prop but it is no longer available, Mercury doesn't offer any props for that model any longer. It is a plastic 8" diameter x 7" pitch prop. Might search the internet for that part number to see if any aftermarket props are available.
          There was on aftermarket prop made, but that is also no longer produced. So what are my options?

Find one close? As long as it is close in size (8x7), the splines line up, and the rotation is the same? Pretty sure its left hand rotation.

or am I screwed?

Comment

I don't know of prop that will fit that gear case and prop shaft that is still available. Might contact a prop shop and see if they make up one.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Mercury Outboard Parts
            MerCruiser Parts
            Force Outboard Parts
            Mariner Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X